Slip and fall accidents happen suddenly and without warning. Whether you are in a mall, crossing the street, or walking to your car in a parking lot, you may unexpectedly slip on a wet floor, or catch your heel on a frayed carpet and wind up on the floor while on someone else’s property.
If that happens to you, a Miami slip and fall lawyer may be able to help you pursue compensation for your injuries. Call the Landau Law Group today at 866-703-4878 for a free consultation.
What to Do After Your Slip and Fall Accident
There are some things you can do after a slip and fall accident that will help you when you meet with your personal injury lawyer. These include:
- Getting medical attention as soon as possible
- Taking as many photographs as possible of the accident scene
- Making an official report at the scene of the accident
- Taking note of the time, location, and any other important details, such as a wet floor, uneven stairs, or inclement weather conditions. The sooner you begin to document the sequence of events, the better your memory will be.
- Finding individuals who witnessed the accident
- Contacting an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your accident
- Not making any statements without first speaking with your attorney
Demonstrating Liability for Your Miami Slip and Fall Accident
The property owner or manager has a reasonable duty of care to ensure that their property is safe and well-maintained for visitors and invited guests. If property defects cannot be repaired or cleaned up right away, there must be adequate signage nearby to warn of the danger.
There are three major factors that go into assessing a premises liability claim, including:
- The property owner was or should have been aware of any hazardous conditions.
- The property owner behaved in a negligent manner by not repairing the hazard or by failing to post signage around it.
- The claimant’s accident and resulting injuries are a result of the hazardous conditions on the property.
Recoverable Damages in a Slip and Fall Accident
The goal of any slip and fall case is to recover compensation for the victim’s injuries, losses, and other expenses either through a negotiated settlement or in court.
Every situation is unique, but examples of damages we can typically pursue in these cases include medical expenses, ambulance transit, the time you spent in the hospital, physical therapy, medication costs, and any on-going and future care. You may also be entitled to other kinds of compensation such as lost wages, decreased earning capacity, replacement or repair to any damaged property, and pain and suffering.
Call a Miami slip and fall lawyer from the Landau Law Group at 866-703-4878.
Compensation in a Wrongful Death Slip and Fall Case
If a loved one passed away after their slip and fall accident, we can pursue additional damages on behalf of the victim’s spouse, parent, child, or any blood relative that was dependent on the deceased person for support. The statute of limitations for a wrongful death suit is within two years from the date of the death. Recoverable damages in a wrongful death suit include burial and funeral expenses, lost future income, and other losses.
The Statute of Limitations in a Florida Slip and Fall Case
Every state has a deadline by which you must file your slip and fall case. In Florida, people who have been injured in a slip and fall accident have four years to file a lawsuit. Neglecting to file suit by this deadline can result in your case being dismissed.
Slip and Fall Attorney Miami
We know how stressful and disruptive a slip and fall accident can be. You do not have to face the complexities of filing a lawsuit on your own. Let us handle the legal aspects of your case so that you can concentrate on getting better.
Call a Miami slip and fall lawyer from the Landau Law Group at 866-703-4878 today for a free and confidential consultation.