If you or someone you love incurred injuries in a slip and fall accident in Mexico Beach, contact The Landau Law Group at 866-703-4878 for a free, no-obligation case review. We will consult with you about your case, inform you about what your rights are, and help you determine if you are eligible to file a claim. We are a service-oriented firm with over 20 years of experience working with personal injury cases, including slip and fall accidents. We can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Recoverable Compensation After a Slip and Fall in Mexico Beach
Every slip and fall case is different, and the damages you can recover will depend upon the specific details of your situation. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for things such as:
- Medical costs – This is the most common kind of compensation you can be awarded. After being injured, you may have to pay for things like medical treatments, prescription medications, assistive devices, rehabilitation or physical therapy, transportation to and from medical appointments, childcare, and other expenses. This applies to your current and future medical expenses.
- Lost wages – If your injuries prevented you from returning to work, you can request compensation for lost wages. If your injuries will prevent you in the future from returning to the work you did before the injuries, compensation may include training to re-enter the workforce in another capacity. If you are permanently disabled, compensation can be requested to help you with necessary expenses.
- Other damages – You may also pursue compensation for emotional distress, physical pain, in-home nursing care, housekeeping services, and any other costs related to the injuries you suffered.
Punitive Damages After a Slip and Fall Accident in Mexico Beach, FL
If extreme negligence or a malicious act caused your injuries, you may be entitled to punitive damages. The state of Florida limits the punitive damages you can recover to an amount equal to three times the compensatory damages you were awarded or $500,000, whichever is greater.
What My Slip and Fall Lawyer Has to Prove to Win My Case
There are four things that a personal injury attorney must prove in a slip and fall accident case. These are:
- The defendant must have owed you a duty of care. This means that the people responsible for your slip and fall accident must have an obligation to act with care to prevent you from being injured. Property owners and managers owe this duty of care to any legally present guest.
- The defendant violated that duty by failing to prevent, repair, or recognize threats to your safety. Examples of this include not cleaning up spills, failing to post warning signs for hazardous areas, or allowing frayed carpeting or loose railings to go unrepaired.
- The violation of the duty caused your accident, which establishes a link between the injury and the violation.
- You were injured and suffered damages because the defendant violated their duty of care.
Demonstrating Liability for Your Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, but are most common in stores, parking lots, on stairs or escalators, hotels, places of employment, and state, federal, or municipal buildings. The causes can be highly polished floors, wet floors, uneven surfaces, stairs with missing traction strips, obstacles on the ground, poor lighting, and more.
It can be challenging to figure out exactly who is responsible for your injuries. If you were hurt in a store, it may be the store owner or the manager who is responsible. If you had an accident on the grounds of a mall or shopping center, there may be several owners under one roof that may share the responsibility.
A Mexico Beach slip and fall lawyer can help you determine who the defendants are in your case. Call The Landau Law Group at 866-703-4878 for a no-cost case review to get started.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help With My Case
The victim in a slip and fall accident will need evidence to support his or her claim. The evidence may include:
- Medical reports
- Accident reports
- EMS or police reports
- Photos or videos from the scene
- Witness statements
- Expert witness testimony
A Mexico Beach slip and fall lawyer can help you collect and organize these items to build a strong case that supports your claim for compensation. We can also negotiate with the opposing attorney to reach a settlement agreement before trial. If the amount they offer is insufficient, we will litigate your case in court.
Florida’s Statute of Limitations
There is a four-year statute of limitations to file a slip and fall case in Florida. That may seem like a lot of time, but it is important to get started right away. Forms get lost, witnesses move away, and security camera footage gets overwritten. For these and other reasons, it is easier to collect the information we need if we begin as soon after the accident as possible.
If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident in Mexico City call The Landau Law Group at 866-703-4878 for a free case review. We can help protect your right to pursue the compensation you deserve. We also help those seeking to take legal action after car accidents.