A car accident can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating. Even minor accidents can result in extensive medical and property damage costs. When accidents are particularly traumatic, emotional pain and suffering can also be a factor, making it difficult to go to work, manage stress, and even perform daily tasks.
Once you have sought medical attention, the most important thing to do following a car accident is to contact a Bay County car accident lawyer. The sooner you begin building a case against the at-fault party, the better your chances of success. Memories and the ability to gather evidence become more difficult with each passing day.
Common Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Although car accidents occur for countless reasons, common causes of accidents involve:
- Impaired driving: As in all other states, Florida considers a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher to be above the legal limit. If the driver in your accident was driving while intoxicated, we will hold them liable for negligence per se.
- Drowsy or fatigued driving: A report by the Insurance Information Institute revealed that individuals who get less than five hours of sleep per day and those who have gotten fewer than seven hours of sleep in a 24-hour period have a significantly higher risk of crashes.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving causes thousands of fatal accidents and even more injury accidents each year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Distracted driving can take three forms: manual (hands off the wheel), cognitive (mind off driving), and visual (eyes off the road).
- Excessive speed: More than one quarter of all fatal car accidents involved speeding in 2017, according to the NHTSA.
- Hazardous roadway conditions: Hazardous conditions can include everything from poorly designed roadways to construction debris and potholes.
Regardless of how your accident occurred, our Bay County personal injury lawyers want to help you get the compensation you deserve. Give us a call today to see what our team can do for you: (866) 703-4878.
How a Bay County Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
The legal team at The Landau Law Group aims to keep our clients out of court. We will negotiate with the insurance companies to obtain a fair settlement, but if the insurance companies are unwilling to make a reasonable offer, we are prepared to take your case to trial.
We Will Gather All Necessary Evidence
A successful claim requires evidence. Depending on your case, that may involve:
- The police report
- Eyewitness testimony
- Photos and videos of the accident scene
- Medical records
- Expert testimony
We Will Prove the Other Party Was at Fault
We will use the evidence we gather to establish the other party’s liability. We will also determine whether any other parties might be liable.
We Will Determine the Damages You May Be Able to Recover
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be able to obtain compensation for a variety of damages. A Bay County car accident lawyer will help you gather the evidence needed to substantiate your claim, handle the seemingly endless piles of paperwork, and deal with insurance companies and any other involved parties on your behalf. You may be entitled to damages for:
- Medical costs for current and future bills. Examples include doctor visits, therapy and rehabilitation, hospitalization and surgical procedures, medical equipment, and in-home services
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is the term given to the value placed on physical discomfort and emotional distress, including anxiety, stress, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), all of which are common following a serious car accident
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity (if your injuries required you to work less or take a lesser paying job)
- Loss of consortium
- Temporary and permanent disability benefits
- Wrongful death
Things You Can Do to Protect Your Accident Claim
We will handle the legal aspects of your claim. However, there are a few things you can do to protect your right to compensation.
Do Not Talk to the Other Party’s Insurer Without Us
Whatever you do, do not make the mistake of talking to the other party’s insurance company without legal representation. It is their job to pay you as little as possible, and they will not think twice about taking advantage of your vulnerable position. They may attempt to take something you said out of context and use it to devalue or deny your claim.
Do Not Skip Medical Appointments
Many people begin to skip medical appointments or disobey doctor’s orders when they begin to feel better. This is a mistake. In addition to potentially worsening your injuries, it can give the insurance company the “evidence” it needs to allege you are exaggerating or contributing to your injuries. We always recommend our clients continue with their recovery, even if they feel better.
Keep Track of All Documents
While we will perform our own investigation into the accident and gather all necessary evidence, if you have any documents related to the accident or your recovery (e.g., medical bills), put them in a folder to make the process of gathering documentation quicker.
Contact a Bay County Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you have suffered damages in a car accident due to another’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation. At The Landau Law Group, we will closely examine the unique details of your case to determine the next steps.
Our legal team will fight to get you the compensation you deserve in a timely manner. Do not go through this stressful, complicated process alone. We will advocate on your behalf so that you can concentrate on healing and recovery.
Contact The Landau Law Group today at (866) 703-4878 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.